OK – here goes …
1. Have you and your business used Microsoft Access to help run your business for years ?
2. Are you pretty much completely happy with this Access solution and have invested a great amount of money and time to get to this point?
3. Have you been told over an over again that Access “sucks” and regardless Access is “going away” anyway leaving you and your solution orphaned and finished?
4. Have you been convinced by all the noise that your new “solution” has to run in the browser?
5. Do you feel that you also need to be able to run your solution on every device on the planet (PCs, Macs, iPads, Android Tablets, Surface tablets, iPhones, Android phones or Windows phones)?
6. Do you feel you need to “scale” your solution across more than one network and maybe even around the world?
7. Do you realize that many, many business processes do NOT change all the time and that if you have a good long-term business going on that you would like to continue using these applications perhaps for decades to come?
8. Yet you also realize that there may still be occasional changes that you would need to be initiated with as little cost as possible and with as little disruption as possible? Hello Microsoft Access 🙂 …
9. But does the prospect of rewriting the Access app (that works for you very well) in some other technology scare you to death ?
10. Does the prospect of revisiting every business process you have confronted over the life of your existing application make you weak …?
11. Do you see something absurd in spending a whole lot of undefined new money creating a new “browser-based” solution that in its best incarnation would simply replace what you already have but with absolutely no guarantee that it will even do what you need it to do if it works at all?
12. Do you understand that there is a limit to the amount of money you can justify throwing at the need for automation of your particular business process but that you realize that it requires a customized solution that cannot be bought “off-the-shelf”?
13.Are you staring at the prospect of this business process that is so important to you going back to being run on user-maintained spreadsheets as your only realistic future?
14. Or would you simply like to continue using your existing Microsoft Access solution using Access for the foreseeable future at a cost that is a fraction of any alternative?
15. Might you be willing to pay someone like myself and my associates to help you initiate such a solution and to provide support on an on-going basis .. again in a cost-effective way?
etc…, etc … ?
If all these things are true then I am here to tell you that there is a very real solution available now thanks to a series of decisions made by Microsoft themselves in the past year …decisions that will allow you and your business to take advantage of the new “Productivity and Platform” Microsoft that Mr. Nadella has been promoting. All this in a way that will actually make Microsoft happy while allowing you to sustain your existing solutions while paying a reasonable monthly license fee for use of the necessary technology based on your usage rather than a major upfront cost.
A technology combination that will be good for at least the next decade and hopefully much longer. It includes keeping your current Access application running in your current version of Access , involves delivery to any of the above mentioned “platforms” … in fact delivering the same exact solution to all of them. And it involves costs that are more than reasonable and manageable and definable over time.
If you are interested in this concept I will need to know how many people out there might be interested. I need to know that this is something people really want/need.
Please contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org and let me know what you are dealing with, what your plans are and what this would be worth for you.
But please do not waste my time with the usual anti-Access bs that some people with too much time on their hands enjoy moaning on and on about because they have no idea what they are talking about 😉 …
I don’t know exactly what you’re getting at here, but you have my attention.
Yes .. I will be laying iy out over the near future. I wanted to see if anyone is stîll interested in using Access …
I wish I wasn’t, but it’s cheaper than redeveloping a stable and working application.
Hi Dick – Yeah I am curious to hear what you’re hinting at. Lots of us would be. Of course most don’t read your blog – and I more or less stopped a year or so ago when you said you weren’t posting about Access any more. But do! Post on!
Thanx for your comment. Frankly I haven’t had a lot of response so it seems like nobody gives a shit anymore … I will post something some day once I finalize a few details. For your information it involves the use of Azure RemotaApps and SQL Azure. The Azure team seems to be doing the bext work at Microsoft these days but it seems that all the other parts of the company (namely the Office gang) are doing everything to kill Office as we know it and replace it with “Works” .. They have zero respect for their customers all over the world. So I am not encouraged..